You may not know whether your roof is failing until you start seeing signs, and then, it may be too late to save it.
Read on to learn what signs you should look for to know if your roof needs repairing.
Part One: How to Perform an Interior Roof Check
The fastest way to inspect your roof’s condition is to play detective. Get a flashlight and head up to your attic. Ensure your flashlight has a bright beam so you can readily see any damage. The common signs that you need a new roof include:
- Visible Daylight through your roof boards: Before you flip on your flashlight, see if you can spot any streams of light coming through cracks or holes in your roof. If you see any light, repair or replace your roof asap. If light seeps through, so can water.
- Dark streaks and stains: This is easy enough to identify. If you see them on the underside of your roof or running down the walls from the base of your roof, then your roof is likely leaking. Resulting moisture is damaging not only your roof but your home’s interior structure.
- Sagging areas: Just as water will make a piece of cardboard soggy and weak, water can make the structure of your roof begin to sag. If you see visible sagging, we recommend calling a professional, rather than poking at the problem, to prevent further damage. Don’t wait- pooled water can cause serious damage if left unchecked!
Part Two: Perform an Exterior Roof Check
After performing an interior roof check, do the same on the exterior. Exterior checks are vital to prevent damage from reaching your interior roofing structure.
- Dark streaks and stains: Just like you did with the interior, check for any noticeable dark streaks or stains that would point to water damage.
- Leaks & water damage: Noticeable leaks, rotting tiles, or sagging spots are a clear indication of water damage. It’s wise not to ignore these signs, even if they’re minor, because they will only get worse over time.
- Rotting: This is a common sign for wooden and asphalt roofs, so look for any rot or decay. Some of these apparent signs include rotten or missing and broken tiles or moldy buildup on groups of tiles.
A few other indications you need a roofing professional are decaying shingles, granules in the gutter, damaged chimney and roof flashing, and obvious signs of poor workmanship. Knowing your roof has reached it’s expected lifetime is an important factor as well.
Taylor's Bestex Roofing Solutions Can Help
If you see any damages after your exterior and interior inspection, write them down and then contact us for help. We have experienced and well-trained technicians who can come and repair or replace your roof. Contact us today to learn more!